Professor Papadaki has the responsibility of the Main Courses Internal Medicine –Part C and Basic Immunology of the Medical School of the University of Crete. She also gives a number of lectures on Haematology, in the Main Course of Pathophysiology. Assistant Professor Pontikoglou gives a number of lectures in the main courses Internal Medicine, Basic Immunology and Pathophysiology. Students of the University of Crete can login to the e-learning site of the University to have acess to the lectures
Internal Medicine – Part C (8th semester, 90 hours, 10 ECTS)
The module contains (a) a series of Lectures on the basic concepts of Haematology, Rheumatology, Cardiology, Nephrology and Endocrinology that every medical student should know by the time of graduation and (b) an internship in the respective departments of the University Hospital of Heraklion.
- Davidson's Principles and Practice of Medicine, 22nd Edition. Edited by Brian R. Walker, BSc MD FRCPE FRSE, Nicki R Colledge, BSc (Hons) FRCPE, Stuart H. Ralston, MD FRCP FMedSci FRSE and Ian Penman, BSc MD FRCPE. (Translation in Greek by Parisianos edts).
- Kumar and Clark Clinical Medicine, by Parveen Kumar (Author), Michael Clark (Author). (Translation in Greek by Litsas edts).
Basic Immunology (3rd semester, 30 hours, 2 ECTS)
The aim of this course is to provide, through a series of lectures, a sufficient grounding and concise knowledge on the basic components, systems and facts that orchestrate the innate and adaptive immune responses and to enable students to comprehend and utilize developments in immunology in their future clinical practice.
- An introduction to the innate and adaptive immunity
- Protective and defense systems.
- The cells of the innate immunity.
- The Toll-like Receptors.
- The development of B-lymphoid system. B-cells.
- The development of T-lymphoid system. T-cells.
- The antigen.
- Immunoglobulins and antibodies.
- The Complement.
- The inflammatory reaction.
- The HLA-system.
- Immune responses and immune reactions.
- Transplanation Immunology.
- Medical Immunology by A. Germenis. Editor Papazisis, Athens, Greece.
- Cellular and Molecular Immunology. Editors: Abbas AK, Lichtman AH, Pillai S. 6th edition 2007 by Saunders-Elsevier, Philadelfia, PA, USA.